This School Year Safety Outweighs Engagement




Three weeks from today, I am scheduled to report back to school for pre-planning. I have only been in my classroom once in May for a couple hours to pack since my last day of classes on March 6. Thoughts about this school year fill my mind with worry even when I try to block them out. I share my worry with my teacher friends and my parent friends. I also find some solace in the fact that I do not have many options - my school is currently planning to return to face-to-face instruction so I will be teaching face-to-face and my own two children will do the same.


My classroom has always been filled with collaboration and activities and group work, but this year it will feel much different. I have always been intrigued by the idea of a flipped classroom and I think the 2020-21 school year will be the perfect time to pilot that. Instead of attempting to give instruction while wearing a mask, I will make video instruction that students will watch at home and then we will use our time together to practice, probably using online practice sites like Delta Math, Quizlet, Kahoot, and Quizizz.


During the beginning of each school year, I teach students the rituals and routines of my classroom through modeling, discussion, and practice. In this technology-reliant classroom, I will spend time creating norms around digital learning expectations in my classroom. Not only will they be spending more time using technology in my classroom than in years past, but they will be prepared in case they have a situation where we close down schools and they learn digitally. I will figure out ways to include lessons in digital integrity in my instruction for both when we are together and when they work from home. Topics I want to cover with my students in the first week of school:
-What assignments are appropriate to share with friends and what are not?  
- Why is academic honesty important when learning online?
- How can I responsibly use the Photo Math app to check my work but still practice so I can master topics on my own without the app?
- How can I advocate for help for myself through email messages with my teacher?

I had been racking my brain trying to think of ways to use the puzzles and games and collaboration that my students and I love under the current conditions, but I have since allowed myself to stop. Each year I try to improve my practice from years past but this school year I will not allow myself to complete with my former self that did not have the obstacles of a global pandemic.  Things also change so quickly that what I plan based on today's parameters may be outdated by next month. This year I will keep my expectations high but reasonable and focus on safety and mental health before content. And I will only compare this year of teaching to any others taught during a global pandemic - which is hopefully none.

1 comment:

  1. Math has always been my favorite subject but I never tried to find out the center you are going through.
    free online math tutoring

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...